Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Things I love about the Vineyard - Jesus is King!



When I was eighteen years old my best friend convinced me to be a part of a small bible study.  In that study we learned about Jesus.  We learned about his life, his teachings, the miracles he did, how he was Israel's true king and the world's true Lord.  I learned about how he was the fulfilment of the hope of the prophets from the Old Testament.  I learned that in some mysterious and powerful way his death upon the cross reconciled me to God and provided forgiveness for my sins. That through his resurrection he destroyed deaths grip and that now he setting all things to right through his reconciling love.

I learned that because Jesus is King, I needed to make a decision to bow my knee and pledge myself to him and his Kingdom.  I learned that pledge came through faith and that faith looks like trust and obedience.

On April 19, 1987 drunk and lost in the back of a subdivision I bent my knee and declared Jesus to be my king.  Since then I have made more mistakes than I care to think about.  Sometimes I've been a good representative of Jesus, sometimes a poor one, but something at the deepest level shifted in my life on that date and Jesus is my King.  I have never regretted following him and every time I've followed his lead it has brought richness, love, and depth into my life.  My faith is in Jesus.

Since that time I've learned the gospel, the kingship of Jesus, is more all encompassing than I could have ever imagined.  I will never plumb it's depths or fully understand it's mysteries.  But at the Vineyard Church of Bryan/College Station all we do will center on Jesus.  It will center on his kingship realized in our lives.  This will be a place where we proclaim that Jesus is King and lovingly challenge all those who come within our influence to know the rule and reign of Jesus and his Kingdom.

I bent my knee on April 19th, 1987 and have remained his servant for the last 29 years.  My prayer is that the Vineyard Church of Bryan/College Station will help many others discover that Jesus is king as well.

I love that in the Vineyard Movement Jesus is worshipped as king.

Speaking of worship here is one of my favorites!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys!! Miss seeing you when we come to Chattanooga. Blessings and favor during this time for you guys!
    -The Smiths from Charlotte, NC

    ReplyDelete